Sunday, January 2, 2011

Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe
Across the Universe by Beth Revis


Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone--one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship--tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next. Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
Publishes in US: Jan 11 2011
1st in series
Source: Librarything First Reviewers

Photobucket

*My review*

   I usually stay away from anything that is too science fictiony, but I heard so many good things about this book and managed to snag a copy from Librarything Early Reviewers program. And let me tell you, about 50 pages in, I completely forgot about genres and devoured Across the Universe.
   The world that Revis has built as well as the rich characters is simply amazing. Well, actually nothing but simple, I was on edge, eager to turn the page to find out why people are acting the way they do, what secrets are being kept and why. I was able to empathize with even the bad guy, because it showed how it could come to those choices and decisions, but I am glad that I was able to cheer when secrets were exposed and things were starting to be set right.
    I like reading from Amy's point of view better than Elder but maybe that is because I am a girl, I am from the same world as Amy or because it started with her POV. I totally understand the why and the necessity of the dual POV, but just thought that I would throw that out there.
    The love story in AtU was well written, and understandable. It did not take the spotlight in the story and on one hand I am very glad for that, but on the other, I wanted MORE.
    AtU is very plot driven, rather than character. I still connected with Amy, and cheered for Elder to rise up. The plot is well paced, creating just enough questions and mystery to keep me constantly turning the page, needing to know more. It is not confusing except in a few places, but that was all for a reason which are revealed in due time.
    I would recommend to give this a try.

I would love to hear what you think of the book and/or my review.

22 comments:

  1. Fantastic review! I am absolutely dying to read this book.I have pre-ordered it - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this book-- it's unique even among sci-fi, which I'm a huge fan of. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so excited for the release of this one. I'm definitely picking it up as soon as it comes out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh brill review, I really can't wait to read this one!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one! I read it in one day, in one sitting because I absolutely could not put it down. The dual narratives worked well for me and I enjoyed reading from both Amy's and Elder's POV. I will say that the whole Elder/Eldest thing could be a little confusing, but all in all, I adored the book.

    I've never been a sci-fi fan either, so I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this. The only downside was that once I finished it, all I wanted was to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I really liked this one. I didn't love it,but I liked it. (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I really just thought this was like the movie (isn't there a movie called Across the Universe?) so I was a bit disinterested. Although, the cover is to die for. But, your review has captivated me because I do love SciFi and the plot sounds amazing. Great review!

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile
    For The L♥ve of Reading

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, this sounds so good! Can't wait! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this one interesting too. I think I didn't like Elder's POV as much too because his beliefs were so alien to us. It did make sense tho. I was really curious as to how much further the author would have pushed this book if it was adult as opposed to YA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review. I loved this book. I found it hard to put down with it's unique concept and beautiful writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review. I've been hearing so many wonderful things about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep I loved this too! I can't wait for the next one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Theres alot of good books coming out this month that I really want to read. This being one of them. I also can't wait for Unearthly and Choker. AHHH! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that the character development was amazing in this book. I agree (but didn't notice before) that it was plot driven.. Normally books like that aren't to my taste - but the delicious characters just made it *wow*!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not normally into science fictiony books either, but your review makes me want to pick this one up and give it a try!

    Also wanted to let you know I gave you an award, come check it out. No need to participate, just wanted to let you know.

    http://myeclecticbookshelf.blogspot.com/2011/01/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hear you! I've been avoiding anything science-fiction, but at some point...I just couldn't ignore all the positive reviews and had to order my copy. I'm so glad I *gave in*.
    I still have ~20 pages left, so I'm really excited to see what will happen. I, too, want MORE of Amy and Elder's relationship. Revis writing is very captivating. The world-building just *happened* with sooo much ease.
    Great review!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Wood's thrillers are way too awesome to *not* rate them 5-stars. :-)
    Happy Sunday!
    _yay_ @ BookthatThing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. sounds great!!
    i don't really like syfy story but this one seems good...
    i think i'll buy this book from bookdepository
    thx u for the review :)

    chikojubilee at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I NEED to read this! Great review, this looks fantastic. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i still have not read this book, but I got it as a gift for my birtday. I really like your review for this book, it makes me want to read this book. i've been putting it off

    ReplyDelete
  20. This book is one of favorites of all time. The sequel, A Million Suns, is amazing, maybe even better than Across the Universe. I love the world that Ms. Revis has created. She has come up with an original idea for young adult literature, especially in today's vampire/werewolf world. A Million Suns did not suffer from the sophomore slump that most second books in series have. I love thie series, and can't wait for Shades of Earth. And whatever Ms. Revis is writing right now (something with bows and arrows and ravens... interesting!). The only problem I have with this series is that they JUST changed the pretty covers. The new covers are okay, but my new copy of Shades of Earth will NOT match the first two hardcovers that I have. Ah well. That's life. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh! Thank you! I've been going back and forth on whether or not i should read this, because I too tend to stay away from books that are too sci-fi. I'm all for fantasy, but sci-fi has never really been my cup of tea. I think I'll give it a try though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I tried to read this but I couldn't finish it. I am going to give this book another try, though. :) Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)