Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Review: Choker By Elizabeth Woods

Choker
Choker By Elizabeth Woods


What if the only friend you could trust turned out to be dangerous?


Publishes in US 1/4/11
Source: Simon Galley Grab


Photobucket


*My Review*


    The first chapter sets up the high school world as I remember it perfectly. Nearly hellish. My heart went out to Cara as she is a loner, and there are bullies who thrive on her pain. It is sad to read about her absent parents and even though it is a trend in YA, it is also a reality. I hate seeing the resigned acceptance, it is almost worse than the acting out for attention.
    The tagline had me questioning everything that happened, just wanting to figure out what is going on. I am horrible at mysteries, but I like to read them.
    Choker is dark at times and it really explores depression/ low self esteem. It is a different take- rather than a jealous and possessive boyfriend, it is a best friend. This is something that I haven't seen explored very much, but I know can happen.
    I really like that even though the love interest is popular, he has flaws, and he has a past that is not picture perfect. He is shown as having emotions, of making mistakes, and being vulnerable. I really appreciate that sort of honesty and reality in books.
    And oh my GOSH. I never saw the end coming, it completely blew me away.

6 comments:

  1. I saw a bad review for this yesterday, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! Great review, Brandi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandi, Apologies that I have not been around for a while - what with ther holidays and being ill, I simply haven't got around to visiting everyone. My best wishes for 2011 to you and yours, PW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very interesting. I haven't heard of this before, but I love a good mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen too many reviews for this, but I've been interested in it for a while now. I'm getting more and more into the mystery in stories lately, so I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this. I'm glad to hear that you liked it. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on this ending. Right? THAT one I totally didn't see coming until it was almost there :) .. very good story!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)