Monday, January 10, 2011

Review: Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Cryer's Cross
Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

The community of Cryer’s Cross, Montana (population 212) is distraught when high school freshman Tiffany disappears without a trace. Already off-balance due to her OCD, 16-year-old Kendall is freaked out seeing Tiffany’s empty desk in the one-room school house, but somehow life goes on... until Kendall's boyfriend Nico also disappears, and also without a trace. Now the town is in a panic. Alone in her depression and with her OCD at an all-time high, Kendall notices something that connects Nico and Tiffany: they both sat at the same desk. She knows it's crazy, but Kendall finds herself drawn to the desk, dreaming of Nico and wondering if maybe she, too, will disappear...and whether that would be so bad. Then she begins receiving graffiti messages on the desk from someone who can only be Nico. Can he possibly be alive somewhere? Where is he? And how can Kendall help him? The only person who believes her is Jacian, the new guy she finds irritating...and attractive. As Kendall and Jacian grow closer, Kendall digs deeper into Nico's mysterious disappearance only to stumble upon some ugly—and deadly—local history. Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried.
Publishes: Feb 8th 2011
Source: Simon Galley Grab

*My Review*

     Cryer's Cross gives us an intimate and chilling look into the mind of Kendall's OCD. She is a well set up character. She has her disease, but she has ways to cope, she has friends, and I like her family.
     I am pretty confused about the WE chapters/poetry, but it slowly all added up and started to make sense.
     Jacian comes in with intrigue and mystery. Nico is set up well as the best friend and boyfriend, and I am on edge when he starts acting strange. I don't know if it was their history and familiarity, or just the way Kendall's OCD was a non-issue but I was a fan of him immediately. Kendall is so heartbroken when he is found missing, and my heart goes out to her.
     I like Marlena right away, she is the other girl in Kendall's grade and she takes the time to explain her brother, and be friendly to K. And Lisa writes it beautifully- as Kendall begins to have some understanding and like Jacian a bit, so do I.
    All these things really bring hope into the story. It is chilling and I had no idea where everything was leading, I just knew it was dark. The ending is just as creepy as the book! But I like it. My big complaint is that I want more- the backstory, the resolution.
   Cryer's Cross is fast paced, plot driven, and never left me bored. If you are in the mood for a dark book with a bit of horror/mystery this is for you.


6 comments:

  1. I am in the mood for dark and chilling book! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I really liked her Wake series so I hope I'll enjoy this one just as much. Jacian and Nico sound like good characters and I know a lot of people who are OCD like Kendall so this book might be something I can relate to:)
    -Danna
    http://friendlyreaderohyeah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Misha- it def is that!

    @Danna its different from Wake, but it is still awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice to know that the ending is not easy to guess. I will put it on my TBR.

    have you read her trilogy books(Wake, Fade, Gone)?
    My friend said they are also creepy.I just bought it. Have you reviewed them also ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read them, but haven't reviewed. They were before my blogging days. I really liked them though- very edgy/dark. It is such a unique concept!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book was so creepy, but in such a good way. I agree about wanting more though. I think the book was too short and could have been even better if it had been longer. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)