Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Review: Haven by Kristi Cook

Haven
Haven by Kristi Cook
One month into her junior year, sixteen-year-old Violet McKenna transfers to the Winterhaven School in New York’s Hudson Valley, inexplicably drawn to the boarding school with high hopes. Leaving Atlanta behind, she’s looking forward to a fresh start--a new school, and new classmates who will not know her deepest, darkest secret, the one she’s tried to hide all her life: strange, foreboding visions of the future. 
But Winterhaven has secrets of its own, secrets that run far deeper than Violet’s. Everyone there--every student, every teacher--has psychic abilities, 'gifts and talents,' they like to call them. Once the initial shock of discovery wears off, Violet realizes that the school is a safe haven for people like her. Soon, Violet has a new circle of friends, a new life, and maybe even a boyfriend--Aidan Gray, perhaps the smartest, hottest guy at Winterhaven. 
Only there’s more to Aidan than meets the eye--much, much more. And once she learns the horrible truth, there’s no turning back from her destiny. Their destiny. Together, Violet and Aidan must face a common enemy--if only they can do so without destroying each other first.
Publishes in US: Feb 22 2011
1st in series
Source: Simon Galley Grab
Photobucket



*My Review*

   Haven is a well written novel that sucked me into Ms Cook's world. There is an awesome blend of paranormal featured and I liked how they all worked together to make a new story. 

     I think that Violet very much reminded me of me when I was a teen- very hot and cold, smart one minute making dumb decisions the next. And jealousy was very much a factor in some of those stupid decisions. 

     Aidan had me going with the "Aidan effect" too. Mysterious, devoted and hot. Who can resist? I don't approve of all of the secrets but I understand why in the end. 

     I've read other reviews, and yes there are  similarities to other stories, but that didn't take any of the enjoyment factor out, and then Ms Cook would throw in her own twist.I know that more is in the next book, so I am thirsting for the next one to be released already. 

     I really like the friendships featured in Haven. Violet's roomie is my favorite, she is intuitive and loyal- someone that I would love to have as a bff. Her other friends kinda blended together to me even though they were written well and had their own personalities. I do like how they band together. 

    I like one line- cold is the new hot! A few scenes had me fanning myself and wishing for more steam, not the cold shower lol. 

   This is a great debut and I can't wait to read more from Ms. Cook.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! I have it on my TBR and am glad to read that it's great. Thanks, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I can't wait to read it. I have it on my TBR as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds really good. I can't wait to add it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very similar to Fallen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, this one has been on my TBR pile for a while now. So glad to have read your review because now I'm looking even more forward to reading this. Can't wait to meet the gorgeous Aidan :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard pretty good things about this one overall and can't wait to dig into it. So glad that you enjoyed it! I love that new line and can't wait to figure out what the "Aidan affect" is! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though it does sound similar to other books, I do very much want to read it. Thanks for the review.
    NC
    http://trulybookish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just a little bit jealous that you read this already...but my copy will be here eventually. Hopefully my pre-order comes in on release day.

    Great review! I've seen some great ones of Haven so far and all of them touch on the Violet's roommate and the friendships. Can't wait to read about this 'Aidan effect.'

    ReplyDelete
  9. It still sounds awesome to me despite its similarities to the other novels. Great review, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I guess they said that there are several original plots, but Kristi sure added her own spin to it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)