Monday, April 4, 2011

Review: Clean by Amy Reed

Clean
Clean by Amy Reed


Olivia, Kelly, Christopher, Jason, and Eva have one thing in common: They’re addicts. Addicts who have hit rock bottom and been stuck together in rehab to face their problems, face sobriety, and face themselves. None of them wants to be there. None of them wants to confront the truths about their pasts. But they’ll all have to deal with themselves and one another if they want to learn how to live. Because when you get that high, there’s nowhere to go but down, down, down.


Publishes in US: Aug 2011
Source: Galley Grab


My Review:


   Clean is a powerful book about teens in a rehab center. It focuses on 5 different teens, two boys and three girls. I think that it's amazing how Amy wove their tales together, how they interacted with each other, but most distinctly, I really was impressed at how she was able to give them each a unique voice. They all had different things that led them to drugs or alcohol, but I love how they are able to band together, forgetting those differences and seeing each other as real people with real needs, and forming a friendship and a road to recovery. 
    I also liked Shelly the councelor, I hope that there are people like that for every recovery group. She seemed to know what each needed and pushed them to participate, share, and what is appropriate at what time for them. She told it like it was without sugarcoating, and I like that aspect. Sometimes things are skimmed over because it's YA, but this is a raw and powerful book. 
    I definitely recommend that you pick this up and give it a try. It moved me and I think given a chance it will speak to everyone who reads it. I was able to see pieces of myself in the characters and it made me so thankful that I've never been down that road, but it gave me glimpse of what that road could look like. 




I'd love to hear what you think of this book and/or my review! 
Here's my video review:


9 comments:

  1. This sounds like an amazing book with a powerful message. I love that the characters are able to see past what put them in rehab and find the people underneath the problems. Really nice review Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really emotional read, but also an important read. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds like a powerful, thought-provoking read. We need more books like this in the YA genre. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of this and enjoyed reading both your review and listening and watching your video review - I agree, we definitely need more books like this in the YA genre - as the message behind this novel seems like one that could reach and help so many people out there. Great review Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this review! l think it may already been on my wishlist but l am going to check!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Looks like we both had a powerful read this week. Great review:)


    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm super excited for this book. It looks really good and unique. I love reading books with powerful messages so this must be a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find! Its going on my list. Thanks for the review! And I am still working on editing your book... Things got really busy this weekend! But I am at the part of the storm! Email you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is really powerful! Everyone should give it a try

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)