Sunday, September 18, 2011

Review: Ladybird, Ladybird by Abra Ebner

Ladybird, Ladybird
Ladybird, Ladybird by Abra Ebner
Samantha was born on a full moon to a mother already dead. Revived by doctors and given to her unloving father, Samantha was raised a cursed child, her only friend the ghost of her mother who speaks to her through keys. From the inside out, Sam burned with life, a fire so vivid it kept her peers at a distance, all except one. Leith, a quiet farmboy with a broken heart and demons of his own, enjoys the seclusion his classmates grant him, but the seclusion is all too familiar to Sam.
When their worlds collide... fires burn.


Publishes: Sept 2011
Source: Publisher for review

My Review: 
   Ms. Ebner has created a brilliant story with strong characters that tug at your heart. 
   While this has fantasy elements, the real story is Sam's journey to happiness, acceptance and ultimately, peace. She has a fire within her, and it burns, good or bad, with her emotions, and even though she is shunned by even her own father, she finds acceptance with two others, a teacher and a mysterious boy, that the town as a whole has labeled as odd and one not to closely associate with. 
   The ending managed to completely take me by surprise, which doesn't happen a whole lot... it was a twist that I never thought of! But it fits the story so well. 
   I also like the symbol and presence of the ladybug (ladybird) in this story. It is really original, and I loved how it played into the plot and guided Sam's journey. 
I'd love to hear what you think of my review and/or the book. 


3 comments:

  1. Aww, this book sounds so sweet! :) I can already tell that sympathizing with Sam won't be hard at all, and that's always so important to me when I read a book!

    Awesome review, Brandi! I think I might pick this one up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one before, but I love being surprised at the end. It usually doesn't happen much for me either, so when it does I get really excited:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got an email from the publisher about this one and I just wasn't sure if it was one I'd want to read. But it sounds lovely! I think I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)