Monday, June 25, 2012

Interview Michelle Stone author of First Step

Dimensional Shift: First Step

A catastrophic infection of land based plant life motivates a wealthy
investor and his colleagues to make the ultimate push for survival. He,
his daughter, and a brilliant young team of scientists do the
unthinkable. They take the first step off planet Earth.
The story is a fresh look at science fiction set in the very near
future. Stone creates unique technologies, an alternative history, and a
weaves together a compelling number of disassociated threads to craft a
very readable dystopian saga.
Our Interview:

--The Twitter version: tell us about your book in 140 characters or less.
What will motivate us to move to space? Who will finance it? What untold secrets hide in our society? The Dimensional Shift trilogy explores the possibilities.

--How did you get the idea for the story?
I grew up with the NASA space program. I’ve been saddened by our loss of interest in space exploration. As an amateur astronomer and a former telescope designer, I’ve wanted to write a story for several years to push us into space. I also wanted to write something technologically sharp, vastly different from most science fiction. I wanted to use really cool stuff, not the old tired wormhole and warp clichés.
--Which character would you most/least like to have dinner with?
In my books, Kelt Nelby is most prominently featured in the series. However, my favorite character is Akhi Richmond. She is the disciplined young scientist that I wanted to be when I was a child.

--What are some of your favorite books? Do you still have much time to read?
I read two to four hours a day. I tend to focus on history, archeology, astronomy, and science fiction. I must admit that my voracious appetite for science fiction far outweighs my interests in the other genres. My favorite books? I have so many. These are the first that come to mind: Dune (Frank Herbert), Up Country (Nelson DeMille), The Entire and the Rose series (Kay Kenyon), War of Rivals (Doris Goodwin). Last week, I finished the Lodestone Trilogy (Mark Whiteway). I found it thoroughly engrossing.
--Do you have any other works in progress? Any teasers or release dates?
Yes. I am working on two novels. I have yet to decide which will capture my full attention. One of them is a sequel to the Dimensional Shift Trilogy. If that one wins out, I will make it a complete story as I have the others. There is nothing worse than picking up a book and spending the time to read it, only to find there is no ending. Although I enjoy series and trilogies, I do not expect my readers to share that perspective.

--If a fairy godmother told you your life could be like a favorite book for 24 hours, which book would you pick and why?

Friday by Heinlein. I read Friday when I was a teenager. I remember that I wanted to be like her. She is a strong likeable and beautiful heroine who commanded respect.

--Do you need anything to write (music, coffee, etc)? Are there any songs on your playlist- songs that inspired you or that were playing while you wrote?

I must have absolute quiet and a cold twelve pack of Diet Coke in the fridge. I do my best writing from 10PM to 6AM. Songs? It’s hard to pick one. My collection is eclectic in that I enjoy good music, from my latest Goth to Beethoven. If I had to pick just one, it would be Learning to Fly by Pink Floyd. I used to hang glide. That was my anthem. I suppose it still is.

--If you could have any superpower what would you choose?

Long life. I want to see the several next big technological breakthroughs. I live for technology and gadgets.

--Besides writing, what do you like to do in your free time?
I live near Yosemite National Park! I enjoy hiking and photography… that’s why I moved here. I also host several astronomy events each year at my observatory. I play electric bass (Rock-N-Roll), stand-up bass (Blue Grass), and cello with the local symphony orchestra.

--Is there anything else you want to add or say to your readers?

I write for my own enjoyment. If my readers enjoy my story telling, I shall die happy.

Lightning round: this or that?
Vanilla or chocolate?
- vanilla
Edward or Jacob?
- Jacob
Hockey or soccer?
- soccer
Ebook or paper?
- eBook
Salty or sweet?
- salty
Beach or mountains?
- mountains
Phone call or email?
- email
Early bird or night owl?
- creature of the night
Dog or cat?
- dog
Messy or neat?
- does neat computer files, messy office count?  Okay. neat.
Ninjas or pirates?
- pirates

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Loving these questions and answers, my thanks to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. Totally curious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Dune is one of Michelle's favorite books! It's one of the first scifi books that I really liked and that got me interested in the genre! I can't believe she has time to read 2-4 hours a day with everything else she does! I'm lucky if I can find 1/2 hour a day! Thanks for the great interview! This book looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)