Sunday, August 19, 2012

DNF #5

I wrote a post awhile back about negative reviews, and how I don't review if I don't finish, and a very wise blogger pointed out that knowing what a blogger doesn't like can be valuable to publishers and authors too. Then another blogger mentioned she did a did not finish post and I thought it was a great idea. So, here we go:

Freaks Like Us
source: netgalley
Why I did not finish:
I could not get into the stream of consciousness narration
Stopped at: 4%


Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
source: netgalley
Why I did not finish:
Did not connect with Neryn, and was taking me too long to get into. I need to be grabbed right away these days or I'd never finish anything. I can't put my finger on anything specific really,  which isn't all that helpful I suppose. The way that she thought sat weirdly with me as well as her relationship to her dad. I don't know what I would've done differently in her shoes though to be honest.
Stopped at: 2%


That isn't to say that the writing is poor or the characters are poorly constructed, it's personal on my end.
I'd love to see if you have a great review of any of these books and what you loved about them.

Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Disappointed to hear about Shadowfell as I was very highly anticipating it this fall; hopefully it will work better for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about why you should share DNF's sadly i have only ever DNF'd one book, i am always afraid i will miss something..LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understand. I just can't keep going if I don't like.

      Delete
  3. Great post! I hate when I see post with a lot of swearing in it and hating. Whenever I don't like the book I try to explain why, not just say it's sh** and don't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point. I think that for every hater, there is probably someone who loves it.

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of this post, I definitely like knowing if a book didn't work for fellow bloggers and there's nothing wrong with admitting when you couldn't get into a book. Neither of these appeal to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helps keep me honest too, so that people don't just think that I hand out glowing reviews to everything.

      Delete
  5. I have Shadowfell... I have a couple more added to my list, I mighthave to do another DNF as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you finish or just have it and haven't read yet.

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of this post. I don't DNF very often, but I may try this the next time I do. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do understand about Shadowfell because I have read other books by her that have made me feel like that

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)